Thursday, September 13, 2012

Reaction To ???

I had several topics to write about.  While in the process of researching, at 1 a.m on the 5th., my 17 year old son came downstairs.  His top lip was swollen.  He has always reacted worse than most when bit by insects.  Due to our location and "critter" population, my first assumption was "spider bite".  

     After questioning his "duck lip" interpretation, and his sister making a "Botox gone wrong." comment, I checked his lip for holes or tears of any kind.  Nothing. Nada.  Zip.   I had him take an antihistamine and sleep on the living room couch since it was close to my room.   By morning the swelling had gone down and, being the manly sort, he refused any more meds and went off to work.


   The next night rinse and repeat.  Hm.  He said the only things he'd eaten both days was Mountain Dew and Spicy Nacho Doritos.   Oh, hush.  I know.  We are still learning about all of this.  He has a job and has to make his own choices.  We read a lot of labels due to soy allergies and MSG/Aspartame sensitivities.  After checking, I discovered an ingredient that I hadn't seen before: Red Dye 40 Lake.  
              
   2 days later his brother brought home Oreo Neapolitan cookies.  They contained Red 40 Lake.    I asked Buffalo Lips if he wanted to test the theory.  He said yes and ate one.  I, personally, think he just wanted the cookie and had no interest in the science.  Kids nowadays.  Several hours later, the toes of his left foot were swollen to the point they were white on top.   He immediately took a Benadryl and kept watch.

   I contacted an allergist and made an appointment.  Normally, I stay away from doctors if it's something I can handle myself.  However, he was reacting above the neck which makes mama very worried.  I'm kind of fond of my son.  I'd like him to stick around.   The allergen needed to be found ASAP.  Until his appointment, he is banned off of all things red. Then I began to research food dyes...

Holy crap on a pretzel stick.  

     I was floored. I saved many sites to go back to for more research, but I will definitely be cutting out food dyes.

     Last night, he woke up in the middle of the night with a swollen and red rimmed lower lip.  It almost looked like a contact rash. Despite taking a dye-free Benadryl, his lower lip became normal but almost his entire upper lip was swelled by morning.  He eschewed taking a Benadryl, because he had to go to work.  It makes him sleepy and napping while driving is generally frowned upon. 

     Mentally, I ran though everything he'd eaten yesterday (cringe away): 

New food eaten: Jones All-Natural Turkey Sausage
Other food eaten: Motts All Natural Applesauce, Organic Baby Carrots, one bowl of Cocoa Puffs with Stoneyfield Organic Whole Milk, one bottle of “normal” Mountain Dew,  Breyers Mrs. Fields Chocolate Fudge Brownie ice cream, water. 

     I came out of the run clueless.  I don't like being clueless.

         While cleaning his room, he moved a Renuzit Hawaiian Sunset solid cone air  freshener.  I searched for hours for an ingredient list to see what color was used since the cone is a dark red.  I found two scientific studies on the hazards of air fresheners, but even they couldn’t find an ingredient list for it.  What I did find were several reasons to throw it away. 

     What is sad is that I have essential oils I could've put in his room instead of buying that.   I just didn't think of it.   What is a bit sadder is it just occurred to me that I think I bought that air freshener just before all this started. 

     He also has a new pillow but did not sleep with it at all last night and yesterday had washed all his sheets/blankets with Tide (something he has never reacted to)  in case something had gotten on them.  

     His appointment is on Wednesday for a consultation, then testing will be the following week.  I'm praying this allergist isn't one that blows off things like dyes.  From what I've read, a lot of doctors do despite their patients improving when it's removed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment