Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The Evils of Kale?



I've been reading a lot - and I do mean a lot - about the "evils" of kale and how you should cook it slightly before eating.   The main places I'm reading all of this are the blogs specifically related to the Weston Price Foundation.  Don't get me wrong.  For the most part, I actually support the WAPF diet.  I own Nourishing Traditions. (I don't earn any money from that link.  It's just for clarification.) What I don't support is that every single blog refers to the foundation itself and does not give any other evidence to support it's claims.  To me, this raises a red flag.

Side note: I find it interesting that my computer virus scanner gives me repeated warnings about that site being infected.  I've been there many times without a single problem until recently.  I find that curious.

Back to the topic.

The two main concerns are oxalic acid content and goitrogens.   The vegetables that contain these are mainly the cruciferous (cabbage) family, though other foods also contain them  You can read about each in the links below.   I could just repeat it all, but I hope you research it for yourself.   Check out this article and chart on oxalic acid contents:

http://oxalicacidinfo.com/

Looking at it, Lambs quarter is way up there on the numbers.  There are no thyroid problems within my family, but I think I'd stay away from it. Kale is quite low on the chart.   In fact, other fruits and veggies come out higher in oxalic acid content than kale.

The bottom line?  Unless you have a thyroid problem, or thyroid problems run in your family, eating these vegetables raw is completely fine as long as it's done in moderation.  Seriously, people, use common sense.  Everything should be done in moderation.  Any food item done to excess is going to hurt you.  Research your personal health, diseases that run in your family, and make decisions based on your needs.  Rotate your foods so you're not eating the same thing more than 3-4 times a week.

If you love Kale or broccoli, but have thyroid issues, then obviously slightly steaming them  (anything else ruins the "goodness") or staying away from them is in your best interest.   If you're healthy as can be, then eating them raw several times a week most likely won't hurt you.   Don't take my word for it.  Do your research and make a decision based on your needs.


The Super Veggies
About.com Thyroid Disease
Oxalate Chart

No comments:

Post a Comment