Thursday, September 20, 2012

HAE

I took my son to the allergist, because the facial swelling greatly worried me.

The allergist said, "I want to send your son to the hospital for some blood work.  I don't think it's an allergic reaction.  I think it's Hereditary Angioedema (HAE)."

Excuse me?!

The more he explained what it was, the more my mind began to go blank.  All I heard was this was something that could potentially kill my son.

The allergist asked if anyone else had random swelling without cause.  He said it's usually in clusters, so if one child had it someone else in the immediate family probably also has it. My middle son's entire right arm doubled in size two weeks before he left for boot camp.  The doctor at the clinic couldn't figure out what was wrong with him and sent us home to "keep watch".   He was supposed to graduate 3 weeks ago.  Since he's arrived, however, he has been sick constantly.  HAE flares up under stress.   I have to contact the recruiting office and have him tested.  If he turns up positive he will be discharged.

HAE

From all the research I've done so far, it appears to be an auto-immune response to certain stresses like stress (duh), flu and colds, surgeries, etc.   The bad part is it can flare up and cause his throat to swell shut.   #6 now has to carry an epi-pen and I also have one in my purse.  The doctor said, "Whether it is allergies or HAE,  the epi-pen will buy him a trip to the hospital." The test was done yesterday.  It will take a week to get the results.

When I was told that my ovarian tumor might be cancer I was perfectly calm.  I told everyone to not borrow trouble and just wait for the results.  Maybe I "knew" it wasn't cancer.

With this I am on pins and needles. I feel sick to my stomach.  It's not a definite death sentence, but it is life threatening.  Both boys having random swelling makes it a very high percentage that it's going to be a positive result.  That's two children with a life threatening genetic disorder.  If it's positive the others will have to be tested along with all the grandchildren.  

I know every day is a risk.  Every day one of them or I could be killed in a random event like a car accident.  This just doubles the risk for them.  I've already lost one son.  I don't want to lose any more.  I'm trying not to borrow trouble.  I'm trying not to act worried around him, because I know he is already worried about it.

The wait is already killing me and it's only been a day.  6 more to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment